FASTING & PRAYERS
The Holy Spirit has been signaling the need for prayer for the move of God in Alaska. In recent years, God has activated several prayer movements across Alaska.
These include pastoral prayer gatherings, church-wide prayer meetings, regional and national prayer initiatives as well as worship events. Every year since 2015, Revive Alaska Outreach has hosted a 40 days of fasting and prayer for Alaska from January 1st-February 9th.
“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place. For now I have chosen and sanctified this house, that My name may be there forever; and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually” (2 Chronicles 7:14-16).
FASTING GUIDE & TIME
1. This is not a solemn fast but a daily light 12-hour (6 am - 6 pm) fast. Drinking water is allowed during the fast. Anyone accustomed to fasting may choose to fast for longer hours or days.
2. Everyone is expected to call in on the designated prayer line every day except Sundays.
3. It is expected that each person should fast for the entire 40 days or at least 21 days but this is not a requirement to participate in the fast.
4. If you are new to fasting, start out by fasting a few hours and increasing to 12 per day.
5. For those not used to long fasting, it is encouraged that you fast at least three consecutive days each week if you must skip some days.
6. At the end of the 40 days, each person shall gather together for the Annual Alaska Prayer Conference.
Every day, each person will call into the prayer line at 6 pm to close out the fast each day. The Moderator will lead the prayer line with thanksgiving, praise and worship, prayer, welcoming of callers, call-out prayer points, and follow up with announcements. If you would love to moderate the prayer line any of the 40 days, please contact us at email@example.com.
Every Friday during the fast, we shall meet both physically and on Zoom. The physical gatherings will take place at 5021 O'Malley Road, Anchorage AK 99507. If you would love to host a Friday prayer gathering in your church, ministry, or home, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you live in an area outside of or are unable to attend a hosted gathering, we would love to invite you to view the online stream at www.revivealaska.org.
PRAYER LINE GUIDELINES/ETIQUETTE:
The prayer line opens at 6 pm AKST.
Unless in a quiet place, please be considerate and limit the background noise pollution by muting your phone.
The call moderator will lead each prayer point, everyone prays the prayer point together, then the moderator will have someone conclude the prayer point.
Everyone is encouraged to pray and pray out loud, to get into the flow of the anointing and bring down the presence of God.
GUIDELINES FOR FASTING:
Each participant should fast as much as possible. Ideally, only drinking water from 6 am to 6 pm daily. Those used to fasting could fast longer hours or days.
Call into prayer Zoom conference at 6 pm AKST daily except Sundays.
After the prayer line, eat a small, light meal. It is encouraged to have fruit as a bedtime snack to assist in fasting the following day. Try to avoid oils and starch.
Dedicate fasting time to devotional activities such as reading the Bible, worship, and prayer.
In addition to skipping meals, certain types of foods (sweets, soft drinks, etc) or leisure activities (Social media, TV, sports, etc.) can be “fasted” as well.
* For those taking medications or with health concerns, please adjust your
PURPOSE OF FASTING:
1. Fasting as a means of worship, which must be God-centered, God
intended, and God-ordained.
2. Fasting as preparation for God’s guidance and renewal (Daniel 9; Ex. 24)
3. Fasting to reveal the things that control us and hinder our intimacy with
4. Fasting to remind us that we are sustained “by every word that
proceeds from the mouth of God.”
5. Fasting to help keep our balance in life.
6. Fasting, as an expression of grief, distress, or repentance.
POINTS TO REMEMBER WHILE FASTING:
1. Monitor your inner attitudes and maintain a worshipful attitude.
2. Be careful not to call attention to what you are doing.
3. Remember that the major work of scriptural fasting is in the realm of
4. Believe God for answered prayers.